Yes, you read that correctly. Tacos. For breakfast.
This is probably one of the best creations I accidentally discovered while trying to stick to eating breakfast in the morning. I’m terrible at not eating first thing in the morning. I usually try and get my workout done early but how can you workout right after eating breakfast? Make it make sense!
While you ponder that and enjoy the visual shots below, allow me to share how to make these magnificent delights.
Let’s start with the ingredients! I’ve notice that places like Costco and even Walmart are stepping up their game when it comes to carrying healthier name brand food. I found most of my ingredients at Costco but I know I can get smaller packaging at Walmart also. You can’t go wrong with a local natural grocer or Whole Foods but you will most likely see a difference in the price!
- 2 grain free tortillas (Siete is my favorite brand)
- 2 links of nitrate free chicken sausage
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/8 white onion, chopped
- 1/8 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon fat of choice (I used organic ghee)
- 1 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Jalapeno Buffalo sauce, drizzled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Top with avocado and cilantro
You’re welcome to add tomatoes and really any of your favorite veggies. I like using bell peppers in this dish since it adds a nice crunch!
- Prepare any topics and garnish ahead of time.
- On medium heat, warm up fat of choice in a medium fry pan then add onions and bell peppers.
- Since the sausage is already cooked, I will throw them in the pan with the vegetables at this point to get them crispy on the outside.
- Remove the sausages when they are golden brown, set aside.
- Once the onions begin to brown a bit, add your whisked eggs to the pan. Add salt and pepper to your liking.
- As the eggs near completion, take two of the grain free tortillas and place on a microwave safe dish. Heat for 15 seconds, just to get them warm and a bit more pliable.
- Place the scramble mixture and sausages in to each tortilla and top with your favorite fixins!
Taco Tuesday has now become Taco Any Day and I’m so excited for you!