I have a consistent supply of frozen bananas in my freezer during summertime and I have this recipe to blame.
If you haven’t realized by now, I am all about minimal ingredients and very little prep time. Aside from a little patience needed to freeze the bananas, this pretty much checks both of those boxes.
This bowl is an old friend of mine, created in a moment of desperation where I really, really wanted desserts in my life. The best part? You can add toppings to it based off of your mood. Feeling the need for a little chocolate? Toss those bad boys in here. Feeling that fresh fruit vibe? Yes, you can add that too. The world is your bowl of goodness.
Allow me to field any concerns you may have about bananas by saying this…I’m really not a huge fan of banana flavored anything. I particularly do not care for banana ice cream. The difference to me is using fresh bananas vs banana flavoring. If you try and hand me banana flavored candy I will slap it right from your hand with no remorse. Because you’d deserve it. I’ve found that using fresh bananas doesn’t even compare to eating banana flavored dishes. Keep that in mind as you believe me and make this bowl, despite any reservations you may have for bananas.
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup almond butter (Barney butter is my favorite brand purchased through Thrive Market!)
- Enjoy life semi sweet mini chocolate chips
- Fresh blueberries
How to prepare:
- Peel ripe bananas and place in a ziplock bag. Freeze for a minimum 3 hours
- Once frozen, take the bag out of the freezer and place on the counter for 3-5 minutes. This is only to soften them up a bit. Do not let them thaw too long or you’ll end up making banana soup!
- Combine bananas and almond butter in a blender and blend
- Place mixture in a bowl, top with chocolate and blueberries (or toppings of choice)
This is a great alternative to naughty desserts and I hope you love it as much as I do!